Looking at fashion in a globally conscious and rebellious way. Not all of us have glitter in our eyes.

DIY: Hair Growth


So I have been trying to grow my hair out for about 2 years since i cut it to my chin when I was in the musical Grease (not a good idea). I swear I have tried everything in the book to make it grow and I am not afraid to admit that some of my methods have been pretty strange. I'm sure all of you out there have read about some crazy treatments for hair growth, I'll just go through a few of them and tell you what has worked for me so far.

1. Monistat 7:
 Ok. Judge me if you want. Yes I tried it and yes it actually worked. I read that women had been putting Monistat & on their hair for rapid hair growth and I was just as weirded out as you probably are. However being a free spirit (and desperate for long hair) I tried it).

All you have to do is put a small amount in a squirt bottle and dilute it with water, then apply it to your scalp at night. This method was done by most people, however some brave should applied the cream straight to their scalp without diluting it. I read that you are supposed to dilute it because if you don't you can get headaches, but I didn't use any water at all and had no trouble with headaches.

Low and behold after a few weeks I am pretty sure I could actually see some new growth! I do believe this method does work, but I am a bit weary of putting that many chemicals directly on my scalp. I also read that once you stop applying the Monistat that you can experience some hair loss?! ( um no thanks.)

So if you had a bang nightmare or decided to be a rebel and shave the side of your head (also a bad idea) this method for hair growth could work for you. just be careful and be mindful that you are using chemicals and if you do experience headaches or any other tingling or pain PLEASE STOP.

2. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse:

I did this one last night and was not exactly hoping for miraculous hair growth but after reading testimonials online I expected to walk out of the shower and for my hair to look like J Lo's. Seriously people are like crazy about this stuff. I first heard about it when I started researching the "no poo" craze.  That is where you wash your hair with baking soda and then condition it with apple cider vinegar.

Well, I have not been brave enough to take the full plunge into the "no poo"family. I have read that there is a transition period of a few weeks to a month of greasy, nasty hair before your hair starts to get used to the change and feel amazing. I am unfortunately not that patient and that transition period looks pretty scary. So I have had baking soda and apple cider vinegar sitting in my bathroom staring at me for about two months mocking me for being to scared to try it.

Last night I finally took the plunge. Well half a plunge. I did what is called a apple cider vinegar rinse. i shampooed like normal and then with a mix of 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar and about 1 cup of water in poured it on my hair and let it sit for 1 minute. I washed it out, put a little
 oil on it then let it air dry.

Well, like I said I woke up the next morning expecting to look in the mirror and see locks of a Grecian goddess and to my surprise my head was a mass of greasy, ropey lifeless strings. What happened?!! I don't know if I did something wrong or if my hair just doesn't like this treatment but this definitely didn't work for me.  At least now I know.

3. Coconut oil:

love coconut oil.. Seriously I will go to the grave swearing by this stuff. I will probably go to the grave with this stuff. It can be used for anything. Any when I mean anything, I mean literally anything.
let me just tell you a few things it can be used for:
-cooking
-hair conditioner
-deep hair conditioner
-deodorant
-moisturizer
-in your coffee
There are a million more uses if you want to look them up. This time I used it as a deep hair conditioner. I usually put it in my hair at night, put a shower cap on, go to sleep and then wash it out in the morning. It is easy to wash out and leaves my hair soft and shiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment